Monday, March 21, 2011

World Poetry Day

In response to a plea to share some genealogy poetry by my alter-ego, Geniaus, I am posting a genealogy poem for World Poetry Day.

I'm not a Byron, Keats or Shelley so I have borrowed a poem from a collection hosted at Rootsweb. This is a prayer for all my GeniMates.

Prayer For Genealogists
Lord, help me dig into the past,
And sift the sands of time,
That I might find the roots that made
This family tree mine.
Lord, help me trace the ancient roads,
On which my fathers trod,
And led them through so many lands,
To find our present sod.
Lord, help me find an ancient book,
Or dusty manuscript,
That's safely hidden now away,
In some forgotten crypt,
Lord, let it bridge the gap that haunts
My soul, when I can't find
The missing link between some name
That ends the same as mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment