Thursday, March 24, 2011

Julie Goucher

Our latest GeniMate from England is very active in the online world. I have encountered Julie through Twitter and at her blog, Angler's Rest. I was most impressed when Julie took up a challenge from Shelley at Twigs of Yore and submitted a blog post for The Australia Day Genealogy Challenge.

Thanks, Julie, for a thoughtful post.
Julie Goucher
Date 20th March, 2011
Name Julie Goucher
Hometown A Surrey girl living in Devon

Are you a Hobbyist or Professional Genealogist?  Hobbyist

What, if any, formal or informal studies have you undertaken that are relevant to genealogical research? I have a Honours Degree in history

How long have you been chasing ancestors? Since 1986

How did you get hooked on genealogy? I was hugely influenced by elderly relatives, three Great Aunts and an elderly cousin who shared so much of their earlier lives that I simply wanted to know more and more and more!

What are your areas of Expertise in Genealogy?  I don't know if I am an expert, but I am currently undertaking two one name studies, one of which is for an Italian surname and a one place study.

Please outline your involvement in Genealogy Societies and Groups
I am a member of :

West Surrey Family History Society since 1986
Hampshire Genealogical Society
Sussex Family History Group
Families in British India
Guild of One Name Studies since 2002

I am also a member of the Anglo Italian Family History Society and was one of the founder members and spent the first 4 years or so as the Vice Chair of the Society.


What are the lands of your ancestors? The majority of my maternal line is from the Surrey,Hampshire and Sussex borders. I also have a line in the Midlands and my paternal line is from a rural community in Sicily. I also have lines that migrated to Canada and Australia. There are also link with the East India Company, and a rumour of a paper mill in Russia!

What Family Names are you Researching? Here are a few of them: Butcher, Budd,Goucher,Worship,Orlando,Pim, Elstone,Denyer,Matthews,Jelley, Ellis

Who is your favourite ancestor? Why? My favourite has got to be a chap called Henry Budd who is my 6 x Great Grandfather. Henry has lead me on quite a journey over the last 20 odd years. I eventually found his marriage after 15 years of looking! I then, quite by chance came across a reference to a Henry Budd in the rural village of Shackleford and believe that this is Henry's birth place. Sadly records for that parish have not survived. Henry is believed to have been born circa 1700. He married Martha Ottaway in Chertsey in 1723 and raised his family of 8 children in Puttenham Surrey.

What ancestral city or town would you like to visit? Why? I would love to go back to Australia and follow as much as possible the footsteps of my ancestor Esther Bellasis nee King. Esther's husband was an officer in the East India Company and following a dual in which the other man was killed, George Bridges Bellasis was sentenced to transportation to Botany Bay. Esther accompanied him, although the sentence was overturned. Meanwhile, Esther left in Australia a lovely picture and it is believed the be the earliest piece of artwork by a women in the colony. I would love to be able to explore this line further. Esther was certainly a women, who quite accidentally put herself into the historical light.

What is your favourite resource for genealogy?  The internet is a fabulous resource for genealogy, the facilities on line that have developed over the last 20 years or so is wonderful. Not just the indexes, but the transcriptions and document scans on sites such as Ancestry and Find my Past to name just two. Also the interaction with other genealogists, the support, assistance and genuineness is great. The scope of the internet is limited in some ways to our own imagination, it is a great stepping stone to archives and other areas of research, and is another tool we can use as we pursue our ancestors.

Despite that, you can not beat the attendance at a records office, touching and smelling the archives and absorbing the general feel - wonderful!


Do you keep your genealogy files on paper? Yes

Do you keep your genealogy files on a computer? Yes

What genealogy software do you use to record your family tree? I am currently using a rather elderly piece of software - Family Origins 10 but looking at the alternatives. I also use Family Historian. 

Do you have your tree posted on the internet?  No

What Social Networking Sites do you use for genealogy? 
Ancestry, Facebook, GenealogyWise, Genes Reunited, Twitter


Do you have a blog? Yes

What are your blogs' URLs? www.anglersrest.blogspot.com


What are your Other Hobbies, Activities, Interests? Reading, Walking, National Trust and Collecting

What is your favourite lesiure time activity apart from genealogy? Reading

What is your personal philosophy in a few words ?  Life is for living

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for inviting me to contribute to GeniMates and for the lovely introduction.

    ReplyDelete