Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Aillin O'Brien

This modest young Australian genealogist wondered if she would have something worthwhile to contribute when I invited her to submit a profile for GeniMates. I am pleased that Aillin, who writes thoughtful posts on her blog Australian Genealogy Journeys, has contributed her profile. Thanks, Aillin.

I fear that I have misplaced Aillin's photo so am posting an image from her blog.










Date 19 March 2011
Name Aillin O'Brien
Hometown Rural area of Victoria, Australia

Are you a Hobbyist or Professional Genealogist?  Hobbyist

What, if any, formal or informal studies have you undertaken that are relevant to genealogical research? 
I completed a Graduate Diploma in Local, Family and Applied History in 2009. I completed an IT degree in 2006. I would like to undertake further my genealogy education in the future.


What is your day job? Looking for work at the moment

How long have you been chasing ancestors?  Since 2003

How did you get hooked on genealogy? My Mum had been researching family history since the 1980s. I remember accompanying her on research trips when I was younger, sitting with her at the library while she searched the birth, deaths and marriages indexes on microfilm. I have been vaguely interested in my family history since childhood, but I became really interested when my Mum asked me to put all her records on to computer. We got a copy of Personal Ancestral File (PAF) and then I was hooked.

What are your areas of Expertise in Genealogy?  No areas of expertise

Please outline your involvement in Genealogy Societies and Groups I am a member of the Genealogical Society of Victoria, the Australian Institute of Genealogical Studies and the Society of Australian Genealogists. I live in a rural area and unfortunately I don't get to visit their libraries or attend classes or conferences very often. I hope do a lot more of that in the future.

What are the lands of your ancestors? My earliest ancestors arrived in Australia in 1840 (Fullertons) and the latest in 1868 (Bridget Colbert). Of my 16 great great grandparents 10 were Irish, 5 were English and 1 was Welsh. There is a family story that an Irish great great great grandmother had a Spanish mother and that her father (supposedly a soldier) met her mother during the 'Spanish War'. I would love to know if there is a grain of truth in that story. My great great great grandmother, Mary Dunn, would have been born c1813 so that is the right era for the Peninsular War.


What Family Names are you Researching?  ANDREWS, ATKINSON, AHERN, BEST, BOWLER, BREEN, BRIGHT, BROWN, CAREW, CHAMBERS, COGHLAN, COLBERT, CRISP, CRONIN, CROOT, DAVEY, DUGGAN, DUNN/DUNNE, GASCOIGNE, GILMORE, GUINANE, ELLIS, FINEGAN, FULLERTON/FULLER/FULLARD/FOLLIARD, HAYES, HEADING, HEHIR, HOGAN, HUTTON, JONES, JOYCE, JUDD, KENEALY, KERSEY/CASEY, MANNIX, MARROWS, MATTHEWS, McALLISTER, McCARTHY, McMAHON, MULHALL, O'BRIEN, PEACOCK, PETTIT, PICKIS/PICKESS/PICKERS, POTTER, PRESTON, PURVIS, RANDALL, SIMMES, SMITH, TANGNEY, TAYLOR, WALWYN

Who is your favourite ancestor? Why?  No particular favourite ancestor. I like them all.

What ancestral city or town would you like to visit? Why? I would like to someday visit all my known ancestral regions in Ireland, England and Wales.

What is your favourite resource for genealogy?  It is a bit hard to chose a favourite! Probably Trove (http://trove.nla.gov.au) is my favourite. I also like Cora Num's Web Sites for Genealogists, it is a great Australian genealogy portal, with links to many useful Australian resources. (http://coraweb.com.au/)

Do you keep your genealogy files on paper? Yes

Do you keep your genealogy files on a computer? Yes

What genealogy software do you use to record your family tree?  Legacy. I also have a copy of Family Tree Maker, Family Historian and Roots Magic, mostly because I love to play around with the different features of genealogy software.

Do you have your tree posted on the internet?  No

What Social Networking Sites do you use for genealogy?  Ancestry, Facebook, GenealogyWise, Genes Reunited, LinkedIn, Twitter

Do you have a blog? Yes

What are your blogs' URLs? http://ausgenjourneys.blogspot.com, http://ausgen.blogspot.com

What are your Other Hobbies, Activities, Interests? IT, photography, reading, nature, animals, my faith, and I really want to get into gardening and travel too!

What is your favourite lesiure time activity apart from genealogy?  Reading

What is your favourite (non genealogy) book?  Jane Austen's novels

What is your personal philosophy in a few words ?  Haven't really developed my own yet, but among those I like is: 'Never see a need without trying to do something about it' - St Mary MacKillop.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for inviting me to contribute a profile to GeniMates.

    ReplyDelete