Sunday, June 12, 2011

Shelley

A young Australian genealogist that I would dearly like to meet is Shelley. It seems as though I have known her for quite some time but our relationship has only developed via social media in the last couple of years. Shelley consistently gives me encouragement through comments on my blogs and responses to my tweets. 

We are both fans of  TNG, a program developed by  another GeniMate,  Darrin Lythgoe and are proud new owners of Galaxy Tabs.

I am honoured to present Shelley's profile. Thanks Shelley for your  ongoing support and for sharing your profile to GeniMates.


Date  28 May 2011
Name  Shelley
Hometown  Canberra

Are you a Hobbyist or Professional Genealogist?  Hobbyist

What is your day job?  Public servant

How long have you been chasing ancestors?  20+ years, on and off

How did you get hooked on genealogy?   I think I was always interested. Perhaps it's partly because my middle name, and those of my siblings, have family connections that I was always aware of and curious about.

More specifically I remember asking my grandfather about who his parents were when I was 13. He drew up a pedigree for me showing his grandparents, and my grandmother's grandparents as well and gave me a copy of some correspondence he'd had with his sister about the family. What a great head start on that branch! Then in high school one of my friends was given an assignment to research her family tree. I was jealous of her homework! It opened my eyes though that it was possible to research your family. I'm not sure I realised it before then.

I started researching in my final year of high school. By then I had my driver's license so I could get to the library, and a part-time job so I could pay for certificates.

What, if any, formal or informal studies have you undertaken that are relevant to genealogical research?
I'm currently doing the basic level Australian Records courses with the Institute of Genealogical Studies. No relevant studies prior to that.




What are your areas of Expertise in Genealogy? No particular area of expertise. I am most familiar with records from Victoria, Australia

What are the lands of your ancestors? 
Various locations in the British Isles.

What Family Names are you Researching?  Allen, Allsop, Baker, Barnes, Bennett, Black, Carrey, Chaplin, Collins, Couper, Darcy, De La Roche, Donnell, Fearn, Forbes, French, Halliday, Hardy, Hay, Isaac, Keogh, King, Lee, Lewis, Mack, Martin, McFarren, McKeogh, McKough, McMahon, Mee, Miller, Morrison, Oakham, Penhallurick, Perrot, Robotham, Sinclair, Smith, Spence, Stannus, Sutherland, Sweyne, Tregonning, Willoughby, Wood

Who is your favourite ancestor? Why?  Whoever I have a new lead on at the time.

What ancestral city or town would you like to visit? Why?  All of them! I hope one day to travel to the UK and Ireland and follow an itinerary based on where my ancestors lived. I wouldn't even have to fit in research to make the trip worthwhile, just getting off the beaten track with a purpose would be fascinating.

What is your favourite resource for genealogy?  TROVE newspapers

Do you keep your genealogy files on paper?  Yes
Do you keep your genealogy files on a computer?  Yes

What genealogy software do you use to record your family tree? Genbox

Do you have your tree posted on the internet?  Yes
If Yes What is the URL?  http://www..twigsofyore.com/

What Social Networking Sites do you use for genealogy? Ancestry, GenealogyWise, Genes Reunited, Twitter

Do you have a blog?  Yes
What are your blogs' URLs?  http://twigsofyore.blogspot.com/

What are your Other Hobbies, Activities, Interests? Between part-time work and full-time young children, genealogy is one of the few interests I am still able to pursue. I'd like to get out and see live theater more often, do an art class here and there, read a book, go to the gym... The activity I miss the most is tap dancing.

What is your favourite (non genealogy) book? 
The Day of the Triffids by John Wyndham

No comments:

Post a Comment