Friday, February 25, 2011

Darrin Lythgoe

I just love TNG (The Next Generation of Genealogy Sitebuilding), the application I use to publish my family tree on the web. This poor old Granny did, however, have a few issues when she tried to update from version 7 to version 8.
Darrin Lythgoe - TNG stand at Rootstech


The developer, Darrin Lythgoe, tried to help with me the upgrade remotely but I gave up when I knew that Darrin was to have a stall at the Rootstech Conference that I would be attending. I caught up with Darrin at Rootstech where he logged into my web server and upgraded the software for me. What wonderful service when the upgrade only cost me around $14 Aussie dollars!

While at the conference I took the opportunity to have an informal interview with Darrin, a lovely, unassuming young man.

Darrin told me that, although his software has over 11,000 users (and he gives the most amazing and responsive support to them) the development of TNG is his second job - he actually has a day job working for another software company.. I wonder if this young man ever sleeps.

Darrin ,who grew up in Massachusetts, now resides with his family in Utah. He studied Computer Science and Journalism in College. It was by accident that Darrin got involved in the development of TNG. He won a prize at the Comdex Show which led him to realise that there was a need for a program to post genealogy on the internet. He borrowed some books on PHP from the public library and  developed his application. In his first year he sold just one copy online.

Now with 11,000 users, this software with a user friendly, clean interface, has an active online forum and mailing list that Darrin constantly monitors. He monitors, and when the tech experts among the user group cannot help other users, Darrin jumps in with advice. Darrin is continuing to develop his product that he also uses to publish his and his wife's genealogy research. In the pipeline is a project with another company's desktop application that will enable users of that product to post their trees to the web using TNG.

When he is not working Darrin enjoys hiking around the mountains near his home in Utah.

5 comments:

  1. Nice to see the face behind the software. Hi Darrin. And of course i'm a user of TNG. Cheers for the article Geniaus.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Granny! One gets the wrong impression so easily!

    Darrin has just provided a service for me above and beyond the call of duty. Thank you for providing this little profile of him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Darrin's program is one of the top programs as rated by its users at www.GenSoftReviews.com and it has won GenSoftReviews Users Choice Awards in 2009 and 2010.

    Way to go Darrin!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So many of us are indebted to Darrin for enabling us to pursue our research without having to produce new html pages everytime we find a new ancestor or piece of media to add to our tree.

    And yet I don't see TNG advertised in many (if any!) Genealogy magazine in my newsagents....

    Thank you Darrin for all your years of hard work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ditto to all the above. The open access architecture and relative ease of customisation of TNG has allowed me to generate a Family Genealogy Magazine which has won a number of awards from the Web Provider Community including a "Timelines World's Best" from Germany and a NovaSite! accolade from the US based Award Sites program last year.
    Whatever will we see in TNG v9!?

    ReplyDelete