Friday, June 24, 2011

Sally Shine

I enjoy following Sally Shine on Twitter, @CanIFindThem, as she tweets about her current research projects and shares news of resources for Australian Genealogy. I love Sally's happy name that is matched by the sunny smile in her photo.

Thanks, Sally, for so willingly agreeing to complete a GeniMates profile.

Date  22 June 2011
Name  Sally Shine
Hometown  Trafalgar East, Victoria, Australia

Are you a Hobbyist or Professional Genealogist?  Hobbyist

What is your day job?  Merchandiser

How long have you been chasing ancestors?  Abt 22 yrs

How did you get hooked on genealogy? 
My sister in law Kate Press was researching her lines and was well into Genealogy. After asking a few questions I was well hooked on my own family lines of research.
I remember in the first few months going to a talk and hearing the words "You need to know where you came from to know where you are going"

What, if any, formal or informal studies have you undertaken that are relevant to genealogical research?
I started like most others, in a town library with micro fiche. To save all the travel I purchased my own fiche, then cd versions, then books, maps and then travelled. I volunteered as a Librarian for abt 15 years at the LDS library in a local town. Answering questions makes you learn very quickly. I have done Genealogy talks to local group. An expert - no but the feedback from helping others is amazing and so rewarding. All queries make you look outside the box to find the answers.

What are your areas of Expertise in Genealogy?
An expert - No. A puppy after a bone - yes. Latter Day Saints library work tought me to prove things more than 1 way and work backwards always.

I love working with Census pages and altering the search criteria.

Newspapers are also an amazing source of data. I set up a new database for each family that I help and need to fill in ALL the places, Bth, Mar, Dth & Burial. Did they travel, what is their occupation etc.
Please outline your involvement in Genealogy Societies and Groups.
My membership with Societies has changed over the years depending on what area I am researching, but the GSV is a long standing favourite. Volunteer work in a local LDS library was the most rewarding but is now closed. My years going to DPS (Dead Person Society) days were full of sharing idea. My volunteer work now is from home.

What are the lands of your ancestors? 
Gosh, before Australia & New Zealand, England, Ireland,Northern Ireland, Wales, Scotland & Germany

What Family Names are you Researching?
ALLEN - DUNLOP _ GOULD - ARMSTRONG ... Northen Ireland.
BOASE - MURRAY - PAYNTER ...England
FISHER - New Zealand & Germany .
Mc GACHEN - MERCER - MAITLAND - FERGUSSON ...Scotland.
ROBINSON - BURGES ... England.
AUST / AUSTIN - PARROTT ... England & Wales
Mc CRAE - FRASER - ADAIR ...Scotland.
ROULSTON - OSBORN Ireland.
HOGBEN - KEMBER - BAX - WEEKS ... England.

Who is your favourite ancestor? Why? 
I have some scallywags, several convicts. Also William Howard BOASE left a wife and chn in Eng and came to Aus with Elizabeth Mc GACHEN. The Mc GACHEN family has always had a pull on my thinking. I now sit researching with Alexander Mc GACHEN my GGG Grandfather 1791-1850 looking down on me. This picture was bought in a car boot sale then years later offered to me over the net. It took a year to get him here and yes he cost more than the car boot price.

What ancestral city or town would you like to visit? Why? 
I have been lucky to have been to most already. The cobble stones of Edinburgh to trace the steps of the Mc GACHEN's, Edinburgh Castle to learn more on the Military lines. The Ancestral home of the Mc GACHENS at Dalwhat, Dumfriesshire. After 6 years I found the ALLEN home in Northern Ireland, and my cousin still lives there. In Aus, Blackwood is a favourite. To hear the family home was dragged from one side of the road to the other, as yes it sat lopsided.
Where else is there to go? Hunting Headstones - To photograph for later generations.

What is your favourite resource for genealogy? 
All areas but I guess Census pages. They tell a tale of employment, relationships, areas of travel.

Newspapers online fill in amazing tit bits, bth, dth and marriages. Burials and where and by whome. Financial status. Who wore what to a wedding. It is endless.

Then the official registrations online to confirm data.

The sites I visit ofter are, Find My Past, Ancestry.com, TROVE, Papers past, and more.

Do you keep your genealogy files on paper?  Yes
Do you keep your genealogy files on a computer?  Yes

What genealogy software do you use to record your family tree? 
I have used Generations for years. I should upgrade but I now have this programme jumping hoops, so changing sound really hard.
I have an old versions of Family Tree Maker that I sometimes need to use to view another persons Gedcom.

Do you have your tree posted on the internet?  Yes

What Social Networking Sites do you use for genealogy?  Ancestry, Facebook, Genes Reunited, Geni, Twitter

Do you have a blog?  No

What are your Other Hobbies, Activities, Interests? 

Cooking, Genealogy.
Being a domestic Goddess, Genealogy.
Gardener, Genealogy.
Country Women's Ass., Genealogy.
As you can see I love to seek and find :-)))




What is your favourite lesiure time activity apart from genealogy?  Cooking

What is your favourite (non genealogy) book?  Murder mystery

What is your personal philosophy in a few  words ? 
You need to know where you came from to know where you are going.
When you give it out it always comes back 10 fold.
Treat people that way you would like to be treated.
Good air in Bad air out.

If you have anything else to share please add it below.
Smile, Be happy, Remember those that have past, that is why I am here.

3 comments:

  1. wahoooo, Sally! You go girl :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice read! Sally is a wonderful person who shared so much with me, her very long-lost distant cousin.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm another long distant cousin...Sally you go girl!!!

    ReplyDelete