Saturday, February 26, 2011

Judy Webster


Judy Webster

I am thrilled to present another Genimate from Australia.  Judy is one of the virtual pals that I follow on Twitter and in her many blogs. I have learnt many things from Judy's contributions in the online world.

I cheered when I read Judy's answer to "If you have anything else to share please add it below", this comment echoes my feelings on this subject.

  I first 'met' Judy when she started placing regular comments on my Geniaus blog. Hopefully our paths will cross some time soon and I will be able to meet Judy in the flesh.

Date 24 Feb 2011

Name Judy Webster

Hometown Cunnamulla, Queensland, but I now live in Brisbane.

Hobbyist or Professional Genealogist?Professional genealogist for Queensland State Archives records only, and Hobbyist for everything else.

What, if any, formal or informal studies have you undertaken that are relevant to genealogical research?Graduate Diploma in Local and Applied History (University of New England, NSW) plus many seminars and conferences, including all but one of the Australasian Congresses since 1986.

How long have you been chasing ancestors?Since about 1970. I started young!

How did you get hooked on genealogy?I think it was when I heard my father and uncle talking about their eccentric aunt.

What is your day job?I have my own part-time business as a genealogical researcher and indexer, but until recently (when I resigned after 34 years) I was also a medical scientist in a hospital.

What are your areas of Expertise in Genealogy?Records at Queensland State Archives, especially neglected sources that can break down 'brick walls' in research.

Please outline your involvement in Genealogy Societies and GroupsI am a member of the Queensland Family History Society (where I was previously a volunteer indexer and library assistant) and the Southern Suburbs branch of the Genealogical Society of Queensland. In the past I was also a member of the Society of Australian Genealogists and several groups in Yorkshire, Middlesex and Surrey.

What are the lands of your ancestors?England (mainly Yorkshire, Middlesex, Surrey, Durham and Somerset), Scotland (mainly Argyllshire), Germany, and I have one Irish ancestor.

What Family Names are you Researching?Agar, Ashton, Barber, Birks, Butler, Campbell, Giblett, Harley, Hudson, Hugill, Matthew, Nicholson, Peacock, Porter, Rienecker, Sheppard, Steinke, Webster.

Who is your favourite ancestor?My grandmother, Florence Webster nee Hudson, who died at the age of 99. She told me many stories about her family and her life, and she gave me lots of old documents and photos.

What ancestral city or town would you like to visit?I have been fortunate enough to visit most of the areas where my British ancestors lived, including the Isle of Tiree in Scotland, but my strongest attachments are to Barton-le-Willows and Farndale in North Yorkshire.

What is your favourite resource for genealogy?Any Archives office with original records!  My favourite record series include Police Gazettes and probate, inquest, hospital and prison records.

Do you keep your genealogy files on paper? Yes.

Do you keep your genealogy files on a computer? Yes.

What genealogy software do you use to record your family tree?The Master Genealogist.

Do you have your tree posted on the internet?Yes, in several places and formats.

If Yes What is the URL?http://www.judywebster.com.au/, http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~webster-jw and http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~judyweb/.

What Social Networking Sites do you use for genealogy?Facebook, GenealogyWise, Genes Reunited, LinkedIn, Twitter

Do you have a blog? Several

What are your blogs' URLs?

http://genie-leftovers.blogspot.com/http://qld-genealogy.blogspot.com/http://uk-australia.blogspot.com/http://outback-story.blogspot.com/http://my-yorkshire-genealogy.blogspot.com/What are your Other Hobbies, Activities, Interests?Reading, travel, gardening, postcards, paper-making.

What is your favourite leisure time activity apart from genealogy?Reading.

What is your favourite (non genealogy) book?The Hills is Lonely (Lillian Beckwith).

What is your personal philosophy in a few wordsIf you are going to do it, try to do it well.

If you have anything else to share please add it belowIt is OK to record your sources in a relatively informal way, as long as you provide enough details so that you (or someone else) can find those records again, study them more closely or assess their reliability.

2 comments: