Saturday, January 7, 2012

Sue Wyatt

Our latest Genimates profile is from one of my newer social media contacts.  As she has just recently retired from teaching and will have a lot of time on her hands I expect we will hear a lot from Sue Wyatt.

Thanks, Sue, for your prompt response to my plea for profiles.

Date: 4 Jan 2012
Name: Sue Wyatt
Hometown: Hobart, Tasmania, Australia

Are you a Hobbyist or Professional Genealogist?
Hobbyist but have done convict research for people overseas and within Australia

What, if any, formal or informal studies have you undertaken that are relevant to genealogical research?
No formal studies but have done database inputting for the Female Convicts Database in Tasmania.

How long have you been chasing ancestors?
A bit over 35 years

How did you get hooked on genealogy?
Doing some research in high school but then starting to ask questions from relatives who knew very little.

What is your day job?
Just retired but doing some Tasmanian eSchool teaching using blogs for global collaborative projects with schools around the world.

What are your areas of Expertise in Genealogy?
Probably researching convicts sent to Tasmania in particular.

Please outline your involvement in Genealogy Societies and Groups:
I was a member of the Tasmanian Genealogy Society but with so much online now, I rarely visit and have let my membership stop.

What are the lands of your ancestors?
Mostly United Kingdom particularly England.

What Family Names are you Researching?
Wyatt, England, Jackson, Chandler, Colgrave, Watkinson, Dixon, Davey, Smith, Swain, Tedman, Boyd

Who is your favourite ancestor? Why?
John England because he deserved to be sent out as a convict but he turned his life around once he was a free man again.

What ancestral city or town would you like to visit? Why?
Whenever I go on a long holiday, I visit U.K and have looked at churches and record offices in many of the counties where my ancestors came from.

What is your favourite resource for genealogy?
At the moment, I am enjoying using Trove, the online newspapers in Australia. I have just added more people to my database and am finding some interesting articles about their lives in Australia.

Do you keep your genealogy files on paper?
Some parts such as emails or snail mails from relatives.

Do you keep your genealogy files on a computer?
Yes, I use ‘The Master Genealogist’ but I have yet to update to a newer version.

Do you have your tree posted on the internet?
I have some pages of my tree posted on a personal website and some on GenesReunited but as yet, not the whole database on the internet.

What Social Networking Sites do you use for genealogy?
Ancestry, Twitter, Google+, Looking4Kin

Do you have a blog?
I have about 8 blogs but none of them relate to genealogy. I am thinking of creating one especially as I have just retired and have more time to give to genealogy. Here is the link to my image blog which also has all other blogs on it.

What are your Other Hobbies, Activities, Interests?
My main hobbies and interests are genealogy, using the computer, blogging, reading and travelling .

What is your favourite (non genealogy) book?
Since travelling around USA/Canada in 2011, I have started reading books by Tony Hillerman about a Navajo detective.

What is your personal philosophy in a few words ?
Sources, sources, keep those sources. Otherwise ‘Live life to the fullest’.

1 comment:

  1. Hello Sue! I enjoyed finding out more about your interests, especially as you are a new member of the Genealogists for Families project. I hope we can meet in person some day - perhaps at a genealogy conference.

    ReplyDelete